The wisdom of trees has long been written about. You can find this wisdom in the works of the literary trifecta of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Mary Oliver and John Muir — works that leave us loftily moved about life and leadership.
Wisdom directly from a tree is just as illuminating.
These words are from “Advice from a Tree” written by Writer-Artist-Imagineer, Ilan Shamir.
Inspired, I took my pen (that is, keyboard) to create an homage to Ilan Shamir and to a well-loved large squash — because nature, being abundant, doesn’t restrict wisdom to trees.
A Pumpkin’s Message
Sometimes there is a mask carved on our outsides, put there for protection. I say to you: “Shine brightly through that mask.”
Be the authentic you and #leadfromwithin — be willing to lead not just yourself, but others, too.
Be the coach that carries someone to their next opportunity or even to their happily ever after.
Fairy godmothers exist. They are here to help you. Just ask.
Sometimes you may feel that the magic has forsaken you. Know that you can get it back. There is nothing like sitting in the field basking in the sun with your fellow pumpkins — being mindful of the day, having a #spiritchat together and looking into the heart to ask #therightquestions.
Such as: What are you harvesting from life? Are you giving back? How are you nurturing the next crop of pumpkins?
In life, don’t play small. Become as big as you can be. Keep growing! #Breaktheframe.
Know that every day is Thanksgiving. Remember, it doesn’t hurt to be kind and sweet as pie.
Please don’t worry about being round or orange and not as majestic as the trees.
#TakeThisMoment to realize that you are uniquely you and you are so very needed in this world.
Jackie-o’-lantern (a.k.a Jackie Yun)
Final Words From Me With A Hope to Hear from You!
After writing “Letter from a Pumpkin”, I discovered that Ilan Shamir had written a series of “Advice from …”, including “Advice from a Pumpkin” covering these 5 pithy points:
- Give thanks for life’s bounty
- Be well-rounded
- Have a thick skin
- Be outstanding in your field
- Think big!
Pumpkins are inspirational, aren’t they? And so are these precious TwitterFriends. I’m sure you caught their influence in my homage!
- Lolly Daskal (@LollyDaskal): Founder of #leadfromwithin Twitterchat on Tuesdays at 8:00 pm ET, who is “dedicated to bringing Heart Based Leadership to organizations and individuals.”
- Kumud Ajmani (@AjmaniK): Host of #SpiritChat on Sundays at 9:00 am ET, who gathers everyone together to have “conversations about spirituality, freedom, meditation, silence, stillness and the meaning and purpose of life.”
- Mark Sturgell (@pdncoach): Author of the post, The Right Questions, and a “Go-giver business coach helping people with dreams become Leaders with Purpose and Vision.”
- Alli Polin (@AlliPolin): Founder of “break the frame”, who asks are we “Ready to Make the Leap?”
- And Stan Stewart (@muz4now), who via his tweet introduced me to the work of Ilan Shamir. Stan has a certain poetic resonance himself and is also an improviser and independent musician who “puts his heart into the moment”.
And now over to you…
Who or what inspires you? What is your advice for life and leadership? Please do tell in the comments.